Sunday, November 24, 2013

Day 4


                         “…Take Captive Every Thought…”
                                                               
                                                                    John Brydon


     I don’t want to overstate this, but the concept that follows has had as much impact on my life as anything I’ve grasped in the past five or ten years.   The concept is in two parts: 1) every sin I’ve ever committed has started in my mind; and 2) the Bible says I can control my mind.
We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.   2 Corinthians 10:5
     Thus, if I find I am indulging in thoughts that will lead to sin, I can take those thoughts captive, in Jesus’ name.  I have a choice.  I can recognize the danger and turn away, or I can allow unhealthy thoughts to hold me captive.  Personally, I’d rather remain in control and I’d rather honor Christ with my thoughts.  I’ve learned I can do that, with God’s help.  So can you.
     The Apostle Paul assures us that God has given each of us powerful weapons that will prevail if we equip ourselves and use the weapons He’s provided (please read Eph. 6:12-18).
     While there’s frequently a battle in or for the mind, remember you’re not fighting against yourself.  You’re fighting for yourself, for the Lord and against Satan.
For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.  2 Corinthians 10:3-4
     I’ve learned that I’m happier when my thoughts aren’t controlling me, but this exercise isn’t about making me happy (although that’s a nice benefit).  Instead, I’m being equipped to be useful for God’s Kingdom, so I can fulfill His purposes for my life.  I can’t fulfill those purposes if my mind is crippled by sinful thoughts and thought patterns.
     These sinful thoughts don’t have to be horrible or shameful.  Sometimes it’s enough for these thoughts to feed greed, anger, pride, disunity, seemingly small ideas that I may rationalize as being reasonable or even justified.
     When I discipline myself to take these thoughts captive, I enjoy great freedom; freedom not to be enslaved by thought patterns.  I take control, with God’s help.  Thoughts (and the words or events that result from them) stop controlling me.
     It’s difficult (and likely impossible) to love God with all my mind if I continually nurture and harbor unworthy thoughts.  Doing so harms me spiritually.  Eventually I’ll put those thoughts into speech or action, and then someone else will be harmed spiritually, too.  Is God ever honored when I hurt another of His children, even if I’m convinced I’m right?
     There’s a gulf between what I’m inclined to think and what God want me to think.
Seek the Lord while he may be found;
    call on him while he is near.
Let the wicked forsake their ways
    and the unrighteous their thoughts.
Let them turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy on them,
    and to our God, for he will freely pardon.
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
“As the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Isaiah 55:6-9
    I’ve discovered this is like any other discipline: the more I practice controlling my thoughts (taking them captive in Jesus’ name), the more success I have.  I’m doing so much better at this and, as a result, I’m much happier.  Hopefully I’m more useful for God’s purposes.  That’s progress.  I recommend it.

Do you really believe that you can choose what you think? 
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What thoughts do you need to take captive?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Prayer: Reflecting specifically on this devotional, write out a prayer to God.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________






No comments:

Post a Comment