Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Not Easily Irritated



Day 3

(Love is)…Not Easily Irritated

     The title is part of I Corinthians 13:5 (Holman Christian Standard Bible).  Other versions render this:  “Love…doesn’t fly off the handle” (The Message); “Love…is not easily provoked” (KJV); “Love…is not easily angered” (NIV); “Love…is not touchy” (Amplified).
  
   I struggle at times with anger, getting irritated, etc.  As I think about what pushes my buttons, it usually comes down to losing control.  Not losing control of myself, but being unable to determine my outcomes, my security, my success, my happiness. 

    If my security, my happiness, etc. is threatened by matters out of my control, my natural response is anger.  The big problem is that I am not capable of maintaining that level of control.  There are too many forces at work which are outside my influence:  other people (and the decisions they make); corporations and other institutions; the government and its laws, rules and regulations; the weather; society and what it promotes; international situations, and so on.

     If I am unable to control people or circumstances that affect me (or, put another way, if my life is in many respects out of control), then I’m likely to be angry or irritable much of the time.  Does my life have to be that way?

    For the Christian, the answer is “no”.  The Bible teaches that when I accept Christ, the Holy Spirit enters and empowers me.  The fruit of that Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Gal. 5:22-23).  Sound irritable? Angry?

     So, when I indulge in being angry or irritable, guess who I’ve pushed aside in my life?  Worse, do I carry my frustrations to my loved ones instead of to the One who can actually help me?

     The Bible teaches that when I accept Christ, I become a new creation (II Cor. 5:17); the old has gone and the new comes.  The old me that gets easily riled up, goes; the new creation comes and helps me become better than I could ever be on my own.  Understand, this doesn’t happen all at once; it’s a life-long process.  I’m a better person than I was five or ten years ago.  I’m not as good a person as I will be in five or ten years.  That’s because I’m determined to read, learn and put God’s word to work in my life.  I’m determined, more and more, to seek the Holy Spirit’s involvement in my life.  I’m determined that when unworthy thoughts enter my mind, to take them captive and to push them aside, in Jesus’ name (II Cor. 10:5).
  
   In short: less of me, more of Jesus.  That’s better for me, better for my loved ones and better for God’s Kingdom.
   
   It’s better than being touchy.

Prayer:  Dear Lord, for those things I can control, help me to honor you.  For those things I can’t control, please help me to trust you more, not that you’ll necessarily do what I prefer, but so that the love of Jesus will flow through me in all circumstances, and you will be glorified through my response to all situations.  Thank you.


Less of me, more of Jesus.   How would that change your closest relationships?  How would you become more loving as a result?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________



How does the desire for control hinder love, and make me irritable?  












No comments:

Post a Comment