Thursday, October 3, 2013

A Rumor of Life


Scripture reading: Luke 15:11-31

                In many rooms of my house there are small “pinch pots” that my children have made throughout the years in elementary school. The imprints of my children’s fingers are pressed all over the clay, adding texture and personality to the humble artwork. The pots are colorful and unique, but misshapen. Some of them have chipped. I use some to hold loose change, candles, jewelry, or safety pins. Some of them I just can’t figure out a use for yet, and maybe they are more useful as reminders of childhood than anything else. But they all had a sculptor who enjoyed creating and forming them, shaping them into their current existence. And they were all given to me with love and excitement, and with a precious smiling face. But I also have beautiful vases, statues, pots, and bowls designed and sculpted by masterful artists who know not one thing about me; and yet I paid for them to beautify my home.  Even still, the pinch pots mean much more to me than any of those artist’s skillful works.  The pinch pots are indeed misshapen, but to me, they are reminder of precious life.

In his book, Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis wrote, “This world is a great sculptor’s shop. We are the statues and there is a rumor going around the shop that some of us are someday going to come to life.”

The sculpted things in my house will never come to life, no matter who made them, or how much I appreciate them. However, the Sculptor of our lives designed us to have life. Not only did He give us life, but there is a rumor going around that Jesus came that we might have life more abundantly! Actually, it is not a rumor. It is recorded so in John 10:10.

Often we have a mixed-up view of what it means to have life more abundantly. Does having life more abundantly mean always having a good time, money to spend, and good food, drink, and belongings? In Luke 15:11-31, Jesus told us of a prodigal son who thought so.  He wanted an abundant life so much that he spent his inheritance and risked his relationship with his father to find it.

On the other hand, do we find an abundant life through conforming to moral standards (moralism)? The prodigal son’s brother seemed to think so. To him, an abundant life seemed to come through approval of his respectable behavior. He stayed home, was faithful to work for his father, and expected praise and favorable acceptance in return for his goodness.
 The prodigal son showed open rebellion in his search for an abundant life. The prodigal’s brother showed covert, or secret, rebellion. Looking for abundance or even acceptance by rebellion in any way will leave us misshapen and lifeless. Only in finding life in Christ can we can we be shaped into a masterpiece and find life more abundantly.

Charles Spurgeon encouraged us to pray this: “Lord, nurture in me all the Graces, powers and faculties by which I can glorify you… Send a full stream of life upon me that all my soul may wake up and all that is within me may magnify you. Get all out of me that can possibly come out of such a poor thing as I am. Let the Spirit work in me to the praise of the glory of your grace.”

Do you believe the rumor that you can have life more abundantly if you set your eyes and mind and heart on Christ?

The Sculptor is creating a masterpiece through us. He can bring us to abundant life.


C. H. Spurgeon, sermon # 1150, Life More Abundantly, January 4, 1874, Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit.


Personal Reflection or Discussion Questions

What is my vision for having life more abundantly?


What is my primary mode of rebellion? Is it open or covert?


What is the difference between moralism (conforming to moral standards) and godliness?


In what ways can moralism actually be a hindrance to having an abundant life?


Prayer: Reflecting specifically on this devotional, write out a prayer to God. 
  
                         

No comments:

Post a Comment