Monday, October 21, 2013

Seasons of Life

Day 2

Seasons of Life
Marge Montgomery
 Psalm 25:5; Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.

As I thought about the seasons of my life, I decided God did have a plan for me.  It began with my Mother taking us to church.  The church we attended used the Bible but did not teach the plan of salvation.  How was I going to receive salvation?  God spoke to my aunt about inviting me to a tent meeting held in Union City.  That is where I heard the plan of salvation.  God spoke to my heart that night.  I accepted Him as my Savior and forgave me of my sins.  I became very serious about the Lord at this young age.  About a year later, my family moved to North East.  We bought a farm on West Law Road; little did I know my future husband was just up the road ½ mile away.  I continued in church, Sunday school and youth fellowship. 
Next, through some unusual circumstances Dave and I began to date in high school.  Is this God again?  Dave asked me to marry him in 1955 and we were married in 1956 when I graduated.  We prayed about what church to attend and decided to attend the First Baptist Church.  They definitely preached on the plan of salvation.  Soon after we were married, a friend asked me if I would help teach the first grade Sunday school.  I said,” Sure, I would be glad to”.  Thus began a new season in my life.  I enjoyed teaching very much and even began to lead the
Children’s Day program and be in charge of Bible School.  This was the beginning of my service to the Lord.
After three years of marriage, I was laid off from my job; little did I know what was ahead for us.  A child from a broken home came to live with us and in 6 months, we officially adopted her.  What a joy she was.  This was a start of another season of our lives.  After four years, we had three more children.
Since I was a stay at home Mom, I had time to help with a group of laypeople who were coming to First Baptist to share their testimonies.  Before this time, Dave was a Christian but held no offices or other jobs in the church.  God intervened again when one of the testimonies spoke to Dave’s heart and he gave his life to serve God every day.  Because we had learned how to share at the Lay Mission, Dave and I invited some young couples to join us for a sharing group at our home.
Now we were both very involved in the working of the church.  There was no youth group so we were asked to start one.  All along the way, God was leading us as a team.  We both taught Sunday school and soon another ministry came up.  We decided to start a group on Wednesday night for young couples.  What a joy that was.  Since we have the gift of hospitality, we were able to have parties including all the couple’s children.
After our children were in school, I took a job as secretary for the Pastor of our church.  I learned many things as I dealt with the people of the church.  This was another ministry I loved.
At age 53, Dave and I decided I could retire and have more time to spend with our grandchildren (another joyful time of my life).  God was once more guiding us to a different ministry, How we loved to spend time playing and visiting with the kids.  During this season of my life, I was involved in the Erie Christian Women’s Club and taught their Bible studies for many years.  I also started a group of young Mothers called MOPS.
A friend asked, me if I would be willing to guide a study written by Beth Moore, so began the Wednesday Morning Ladies Bible Study.  The women were mostly grandmothers and we enjoyed the fellowship and the teachings of Beth Moore for many years.
Now, God has spoken to me about turning the class over to a younger guide.  What does He have planned for us?  Time will tell but in the mean time, we will serve wherever He leads us.  We have trusted Him for all these years so we will wait for His leading. 
Through the years, we have had some hard times as well as the good times.  God has been faithful to walk with us through all of them.
If we are obedient to the Lord’s will, He will e will guidgguide us through life.

Isaiah 58:11 says; The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame.  You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.

Think about your season of life: how would you describe your current season?
_____________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
What is different now than 3 years ago?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How could this change the way you train for godliness?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What do you think the Lord wants to grow in you during this time?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Prayer: Reflecting specifically on this devotional, write out a prayer to God. ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment