Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Tipping Points

Day 3
Life Shapers (tipping points)
Dave Montgomery
Most of us have had experiences or events happen in our lives that changed our lives forever, something that caused us to live our life differently.  They are called tipping points.  If you think back on your life, you will be able to identify them.
As I reflect back, I can identify many tipping points that changed the direction of my life.  Probably the most radical tipping point was at when I was 32 years old.
I though t I was a Christian, we attended church every Sunday.  Marge was involved in church.  I just attended.
The Church decided to have a Lay Witness Mission.  That is when a group of lay people come to the Church and give their testimonies about how God worked in their lives when they accepted Him as Savior and allowed Him to be the Lord of their life.
I was reluctant to attend but my wife, who was on the committee, convinced me to try it.
 The first night started with a dinner.  After dinner, some of the wittiness gave their testimony about how their lives had changed when they had accepted Christ as their savior and allowed Him to be the Lord of their lives.  The testimony of one man in particular spoke to me.  His life, before he turned it over to the Lord, was just like mine.  He had accepted Christ and been baptized when he was 13 years old.  After that, he attended church but never got overly involved.  He was a Christian, he looked like one, he talked like one but actually, it had little effect on his everyday life. 
After he allowed God to be the Lord of his life, his whole life changed.  God began to transform him.  He had a greater appreciation and understanding of what Christ had done for him, the bible seemed to come alive and he understood what he was reading, his marriage improved, and his relationship with his children was better.  That man’s testimony convinced me to participate in the rest of the weekends events.
The last event was Sunday morning and they ended the service with an alter call.  I was reluctant to go forward but I saw a friend of mine that I thought was a committed Christian go and I thought “if she needs to let go and let God” then I do too.  So I went too and prayed,” Lord, I don’t know what you want to do in my life but here I am, be the Lord of my life”.    

That was a major “tipping point” in my life.  God began a transformation that continues to this day.  I would like to tell you that I immediately transformed into a mature Christian but that is not what happened.  It is a lifelong process that continues day by day.  We will never reach perfection in this life but we must continue to work toward it. 
We need a plan that keeps us heading toward the vision God has for our life.  We need to reflect on our life up to this point and discover the things that have shaped us into the person we are.  Why do we do what we do?  It helps us understand what causes us to react in a certain way.  What things have shaped your life?  Do you need to change some things in your life, as I had to?  All tipping points are not good.  Sometimes we have had things happen in our life that cause us to react to things in a negative way.  God will expose those things and give us the ability to overcome them if we are obedient to His leading.
Set up an “Upward Training” plan today, one that will continue to lead you to spiritual maturity.    
Can you identify some key tipping points in your life?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Think about your current circumstances.  How could some of them become tipping points?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Prayer: Reflecting specifically on this devotional, write out a prayer to God. ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________



No comments:

Post a Comment